Tuesday, August 30, 2011

How to seam your FOE for a professional finish

If you are like me then perhaps you simply folded the FOE tail end over towards the inside of the diaper and sewed that down.  I did all my FOE finishing like this for years and just really hated the way it looked but was not sure exactly how I wanted to finish it off to make it look better.  I mean function wise it works just great, not to mention it is easy and quick to do like that.  Look wise, not so professional.  So I set out to get this process down pat and done the easiest way I could.

If you are wanting to sell covers or diapers bound with FOE and do not seam your FOE yet, then this simple tutorial is for you!

Take a moment to look at the pattern you are using and determine where the best place to end your FOE is going to be.  If it is a front closing diaper/cover without front elastic then the tummy panel is the best place.  Otherwise on one of the back wings at least 3/4 of an inch prior to the back elastic mark on the left of the diaper (when the diaper is right side of the outer layer facing up) is best.

For this tutorial I am making a cover that has a flat front tummy and closes in the front so this is where I am going to seam my FOE.  I mark on the fabric where I want to start sewing the FOE down.  I want an inch and a half between my start and stop point so my seam will fall dead center between my start and stop at 3/4 of an inch.


Leave yourself a tail of FOE here at least 1 1/2 to 2 inches long.  I like to make a mark on the FOE that corresponds to the mark I made on the fabric.


Here I have marked 3/4 of an inch in from the edge.  This is the line you will sew on once you have FOE'd your diaper/cover.  I also mark 3/4 of an inch over to the right from that to match my start point.  


I'm a little OCD and like to mark that start point again on the top of my FOE.


Get your FOE lined up with the diaper/cover at your start mark.  Set your machine so that when it stops the needle rests in the down position.  Also, my preference is to sew FOE down with a wide 3 step zigzag but you can absolutely use a straight stitch here.  Just stitch slowly and keep the line of stitching 1/8th of an inch from the left edge of the FOE as you sew it to your diaper/cover.


I like to have my presser foot lined up at the first little line on the left side of the foot.  This places my stitching close to the left edge of the FOE and helps to keep the FOE from rolling up a little after washing.


Any time you need to stop and make adjustments to the FOE I find it is best to stop with your needle down in either the far left or far right position.  This will help you  maintain nice and even spacing with your stitch when using a wide 3 step zigzag and give your finished product a more polished look.


When I am getting close (like an inch away) to my stopping point I like to stop sewing and smooth the FOE around the edge of the diaper so I can mark on the FOE where I will sew the ends of the FOE together.  So for this cover that is 3/4 of an inch away from my stop line.  Little change up here, pictures from another cover only because I have more detailed images on this one than the one I made for the pattern instructions.


After you get to your stop point, lock your stitched and remove your cover from your machine.  Now you will turn the FOE so that the RIGHT SIDES touch and match up your lines you made on the FOE.  This is your seam sewing line.


I like to run a pin through the line to hold the FOE right where I want it and then pull it out as I start to sew the FOE together.  Be sure to lock your stitches at the start and end of stitching on this line.


Trim close to your stitching, like 1/4 of an inch away, angle in your corners.  Clip threads.


Open the seam and turn the FOE so the right side is facing up and the wrong side down.


Smooth the FOE down onto the diaper/cover and you are ready to sew the last part.


Put the cover/diaper back on the machine and line it up to where you start stitching at the stop line.  Sew across the FOE to the original start line to finish this up.  Lock stitches, remove from machine, clip threads and you are done!!


Now you have a diaper/cover that is bound in FOE and looks polished and professional!

♥ Krista

2 comments:

  1. nice tute. So much better than what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you like the tutorial! It really does produce a nice finished seam every time once you get the hang of it :)

    ReplyDelete